Wednesday, July 14, 2010

on to the next one

Last night, before dinner Carlo took me to to look out over the city. It was amazing to see Rome from up high, and incredible how much Carlo knows about his city. He pointed out monuments, churches, and many more places which I cannot pronounce. I wonder if I should be embarassed because I am barely soaking in all of this information, but I am taking in what I can. And of course, I have beautifulo scenes to capture with my vision... and my camera.

So dinner was great mostly because of the company. Although I couldn't understand a great portion of what was being said, there lots of smiles and tons of warmth. I also got to talk with a few folks about visiting School Lake and Camp Walden. Plus, the meal was delicious. Mirella suggested the linguine with mushrooms. So good. I am guessing it was a butter sauce with a hint of garlic and hot pepper.

Right after coffee came (Mirella had ordered decaf for me) Carlo said that it was time to go. It felt so abrubt, probably because the 5 minute warning had come in Italian), so I stood up, but Cralo told me I could finish me coffee first. Since the cups are only the size you mihgt give to a doll, it didn't take long. I said my good byes with a kiss on each cheek, and we crossed the street to go the ballet, Casanova.

As we approached, I realized that the stage was standing in the middle of the park. It was a small area with seats, stadium style, uncovered, and small. The ballet itself left something to be desired, but I made subtitles in my head for what might be happening to entertain myself and that definately worked. This is not only my lack of taste speaking either- Carlo said he didn't like it as much as others he had seen there.

We drove back home and shortly went to bed, but first I gave Mirella the thank you gift that my mom (Pam) had pickjed out. Mirella asked if she should wait until Carlo came back from the parking the car, and we agreed that it would be nice to wait. However she changed her mine and opened it anyway. She really loved it. She was smiling and repeated thank you over and over. And I thanked her for letting me stay and showing me around Rome, and she said "I wish you wouldn't leave... so soon." We agreed that next time I should stay longer, and I went to sleep with a melting heart.

But not mealting from the heat! I got an AC upgrade! woohooo. I guess there had been a portable AC, so when Carlo offered it yesterday, I jumped at the chance to have a cool sleep.

I set my alarm, and felt ready to wake up at 9:30. I stretched in my cool room, took a cold shower, and headed into the kitchen for breakfast. The maid, who only speaks Italian had gotten pluots, apricots, cherries, cantalope, and biscotti all ready for me, since I said that fruit was my usual. It was all very good, although the pluot tasted sour after brushing my teeth and especially after that very sweet cantalope.

Then Mirella took me to send a letter. We passed her friend at a cafe, and they schmoozed something about the womans hurt shoulder, we continued on to buy a stamp and send off my note. Then we passed an open air market full of produce, knick knacks, and tourists. Mirella knew some of the people at the market from going there once a week for the past 20 years she explained with a chuckle.

Then I cooled off in my room, had some lunch- more of the yummy same. And now I am waiting either for Nadia to call and tell me to meet her somewhere or for Carlo to get a phone call he is waiting for and take me to the hotel she is at. Whichever comes first. And then it will be a whole other adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment