Monday, May 3, 2010

Open Letter to Folger's (sign on folks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5lPYUB2_ww


Dear Folger's,

Fuck off.

My draw nearly dropped to the ground when I first saw this commercial. I was watching an unnamed reality show with negative moral standing, but this really threw me. The question now is: Where do I begin?

1. We don't live at home until we get married. I guess I shouldn't try to make broad generalizations about "we." I am especially scared to do so, after being subjected to the message you are delivering. But let me tell you this, as a young woman, I do not live with my parents. And no, I don't live with a husband either. I don't have one, and I might never have one.

I live in a split level house, and my two roommate are also women. One of them might actually enjoy this revolting display, because she did enjoy a book called "The Road to I do," which sounds like even more bull shit than the ideas you are selling. The other roommate, well she has a degree in Womens Studies, and she's... sleeping with another woman. I think she'd take my side.

How do you expect the smart, independent, fun-loving American women to respond to this crap?

2. I DO NOT want my significant other to ask my dad for permission to do ANYTHING. This idea is only good for Fiddler on the Roof, and even then it doesn't play out how Tevia intended. Tradition is only good for a laugh, or a musical.

3. "Dad, I'm not sixteen anymore." ::Cute blond smile:: I just threw up in my mouth.

The best part of waking up will never be Folger's in my cup.

Love,
Amy

2 comments:

  1. Consider me as adding my name to your open letter to Folgers, Ame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. d'oh..i have seen that commercial. And the only response I had was "dannnng girl! That ring is TINY! no wonder you're drinkin instant coffee!"

    ReplyDelete