Wednesday, April 28, 2010

the Truth about new haven pizza

There has been a since settled controversy among the Landenwitsches and the Parkers. Sam attempted to make the argument that New Haven pizza was famous. Team Parker (plus Katy Keifer, Lisa D'Agrosa, and other friends of Team Parker) stood strong that New Haven is not famous for anything at all.

After trying said pizza, I wrote an e mail to both teams, so they would know the Truth about New Haven pizza. The e mail went as follows:



Dear family,

You all have heard about and participated in the ongoing debate over Sam's statement regarding the famous-ness of New Haven pizza. Thankfully, and partially due to the support of some of you, Sam realized that even if pizza in New Haven is very good, and even if people who go to Yale think that New Haven pizza is famous, that in fact New Haven, CT just isn't that famous.

(And Sam, thanks for taking this minor defeat so well. We only tease out of love.)

But I am not writing to rub this victory is Sam's face, I am writing to tell you all that just a few short days ago, I tasted New Haven pizza. Sam gave me a short tour around Yale, and then we went to Sally's. It was quite a scene. We waited outside in line for a while, and then waited after we ordered for a while, but from the staff and the old pictures and newspaper clippings on the wall (from CT newspapers 20 years ago... not enough to dub anything "famous") I had the feeling it was going to be worth it.

We had a pizza with mushrooms, and a white pizza with potatoes and rosemary. "Well how was it?!" I'm sure you're wondering if you haven't had the pleasure. Let me tell you, it was very very good. It was good for lunch the next day too.

And that's the Truth about New Haven pizza.

Since I have everyone's attention, I also wanted to say what a wonderful trip I had on the East Coast. Although I was a little sad to leave, I feel very lucky to have such fantastic people to spend my time with. Love you all.

xo,
Amy

____________________________

Then I decided that this was too funny to keep to myself and I should just throw this thing up on yelp. I took out the parts making fun of The Boy (yes, Sam), and about loving all of my friends and family on the east(... which is oh so true and I miss and love everyone) and posted it.

Hours later I received a disgruntled message from someone named "Joe." He did not refute the point that New Have pizza is NOT famous. But he did further prove that people from New Haven/ people who went to Yale/ people who have not left Connecticut are totally out of control. His message was:

Just my 2 cents...I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that not "famous" remark. New Haven pizza is well known to lots of die hard pizza aficionados "in the know", not just Yalies.

New Haven has a high concentration of decendents from Italy, particularly Naples (my ancesters included), so it's pizza status isn't really a surprise to any of us living in Connecticut. Outsiders aren't usually aware of this demographic fact.

In Ed Levine's recent book Pizza: Slice of Heaven he acknowledges Wooster Street as making some of best in the world. He thinks so highly of New Haven pizza he gives it its own chapter. And Ed is a die hard New Yorker.

Plus, Jeff Varasano is a wildly respected pizza nut and in his list of top pizza places, the only other city than New York City he considers to have top tier pizza is New Haven. And it's not just one place; he considers 3 places in New Haven to be top tier. Also, Jeff says The Food Network ranks Sally's as best in the nation. I'll take his work for it.

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Every place has its bad days, including Wooster Street, so it may take more than one visit to generate a solid opinion. But I've lived in both New York City and New Haven and I consider New Haven pizza to be better in general. I say "in general" because there is bad pizza to be found everywhere, including in New Haven.

Like I said, respectfully, just my 2 cents :-)

____________________________

Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment